My Top 10 SW Essentials:
- Muller Lights (Fat Free) (Syn Free)
I always have to have a pack in my fridge. If I don’t finish my day with a sweet yoghurt, I just feel incomplete. It’s a bit like the routine of having a pudding after your evening meal. They are also so versatile to make into Magic Pancakes, mixed with Options Hot Chocolate powder as a mousse or mixed with cereal for breakfast.
- Fat Free Natural Yoghurt (Syn Free)
This is another that is always in my fridge. I mostly use this for the mayonnaise-like texture in pasta dishes. It’s a substitute for double cream. I will mix with eggs and turn into a Lasagne cheese sauce or the mixture for a Crustless Quiche.
- Fat Free Cottage Cheese or Quark
This is another regular purchase for quiches, lasagne cheese sauce or baking sweet thangs like the 3.5 Syns Oreo Mini Cheesecakes. I love how Quark is tasteless and so it can be turned into a sweet or savoury dish.
- Lean Meats or Low Syn Sausages
My consultant once said if you trimmed the fat off a rasher of bacon, that’s the equivalent of a glass of wine. Converting syns you never ate into something you love is a great mind trick. A donut or a big cooked dinner, you ask? Why, give me the cooked dinner any day of the week. I like big meals and eating to fill me up and keep slim and cannot see the point in eating fat. Opt of lean processed meats as much as possible!
- Dried Pasta
I normally have this ever day for lunch but always vary how I have it. Either as typical pasta ad carbonara type dish, or a hearty pasta soup or lasagna. I go through it so quick, I always buy value and never fresh which is usually preserved in oil. I stick to 80g per person which is approximately the recommended portion per serving.
- Herbs & Spices
Almost all dried herbs and spices are syn free and without them, meals would be dull. There is a vast range out there and this is a key area to focus on to for immense flavours. My most used is Basil, followed by Indian spices for curries.
- Healthy Boy Chilli SauceI am totally addicted. I add it to almost everything. pasta, mash, sandwiches… the list is endless.
- Lighter than Light Mayonnaise Although it does not have much flavour, you may notice I don’t like dry food. This is just a comforting side dipping sauce for airfried chips and my big mac in a bowl recipe.
- FrylightOnce used, you will want to throw away all of your other cooking oils. In comes in many flavours. I favour the Butter version and am yet to try the garlic version which sounds delicious. You will need to clean your pans with more elbow grease but that I am willing to accept. Try to only used with non-stick pans where possible.
- Sweetener A sugar substitute for tea, cereal and baking.
- Mugshots (1% Fat)
These are quick and easy pasta cup dishes – all you have to do is add boiling water. We always stock up for weekends in the camper and sometimes turn them into a 1 pot dish adding lean meat and vegetables.
- Lemon juice
I mix in fish pasta dishes and add to tea which encourages better digestion.
As already mentioned in number 2, on the odd occasion I will also fry them for breakfast, but this certainly isn’t my favourite. Note: although they are syn free, these should be eaten in moderation.
- Option Hot Chocolate
If I don’t have enough syns in the day and am craving a chocolate bar, then a hot chocolate oftens nips the craving in the bud.
This is my morning weekday staple. I was eating a giant SW Full English most mornings but was struggling to lose my last pound. If talking calories, compare 135 to a 1000 fry up. And I would still be just as hungry 3 hours later for a 12 lunch. By swapping this, I lost my last pound within the week. I just treat breakfast as a lower priority and see it as quick and easy fuel-intake, not a time to gorge.
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?