This week’s Soup of the Week recipe is a much requested one which I have been holding up my sleeve… An utterly delicious creamy chicken soup. Once you make this, you will honestly turn your nose up at any tinned version.
Note this is syn free on EE if using the milk as part of your healthy extra allowance. If you don’t want to use milk, just use water instead.
I have only one regret – I could not find my bay leaves – in my mid renovation-nightmare-house. To top it off, I was part gutted when the builders turned up unexpectedly to work on our garage and so I filming the recipe was more hectic than fun, unlike last week’s. I couldn’t postpone – I didn’t want already defrosted chicken to go to waste!
Oh, and while filming, my collie, Hans followed me everywhere once the soup was cooked! It was so funny, like a cartoon-dog moment following his nose.
Also, don’t forget I am using the original Morphy Richards Soup Maker, but no worries if you don’t have one – you can cook this soup with a deep pan & a blender.
Anyhow… here is the recipe!
250g chicken, cut into bite size pieces
2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced (320g)
1 pink onion, diced (115g)
2 leeks – white parts only – sliced (235g)
1 carrot, peeled & diced (80g)
2 celery sticks (70g)
150ml skimmed milk (if using as part of your healthy extra)
1 tsp dried thyme
2 chicken stock pots or stock cubes
500ml of water
A dollop of fat free fromage frais, natural yoghurt or quark
1. Spray a pan with frylight & saute the onion and chicken on medium to low heat until onion is translucent.
2. Now add all of the veg and thyme to the pan, season and spray with frylight again and put on a lid and continue to cook for 10mins – fry longer if the chicken is not cooked through.
3. Add to the soup maker and add the water, milk and stock and set the soup maker to smooth.
4. Once the soup maker has finished, add a good dollop of fat free fromage frais, natural yoghurt or quark and blend again, then it is ready to serve!
5. If you want to store leftovers, then I am loving my new soup mugs that come with vented lids that are microwavable, freezeable & dishwasher safe!
If you want to be part of more soup talk, then you are more than welcome to come and join my Facebook group, I LOVE SW Soup!
I hope you love this one as much as I do!
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?