..Zoom… See ya, June., I’ll miss you! I really can’t wait for my life to be a little less crazy. My first house in progress just takes a lot of my spare time off me with its chaotic every-room-needs-renovating attitude. It’s not the calm picturesque writer’s home I yearn for yet and we’re miles away, I can’t even taste the finishing line yet. I’m putting this down to the reason why my June Favourites feels quite shy this month, but it’s a list all the same.
1. Orange is the New Black, Series 3 on Netflix. Firstly this is the highest one on my list. It’s a TV show about a woman who had settled down with her husband, was successful but her history came back to haunt her and finds her ex lesbian lover in the same prison. Now the 3rd series is over, it feels like it’s going down a Walter White path (Breaknig Bad) and if you tolerate lots of boobs and lesbianism thrown in, then this is a must to watch! It took a a few nights on and off to watch which is why I was so behind with my blog but was glad to be back to writing normality.
2. Robinsons Squash’d Pocket Size Cordial. This was a PR freebie from a goody bag that everyone got on the way out from the BBC Good Food Summer Event. I’d never heard of this particular one and don’t know if it is for sale yet, but I love it’s size for travelling. You can take it to work, camping etc and it’s so concentrated, I only need a little squirt but I don’t like strong cordial, so it’s claim of making 20 drinks is probably correct with me.
3. Frank Parker Butchers. I have loved our local Award Winning Butchers and I have to say, their steak was the most tender I had every tasted. I loved the flavour and their melting cheese in the middle burgers were to die for. If you have an award winning butcher near you and can afford it, then do give them a go. They’re specialists for a reason and should be able to offer you tips on the best way to cook it, or you can follow the tutorial I made on How to Cook the Perfect Steak which is also a healthy one.
4. Frylight Garlic & Chilli. These have been a delight in my kitchen this month and the uses have been endless. I’ve made chillied sweet potato chips, garlic bread, the Ultimate Garlic & Cheese Mash, Chilli & Chocolate Banana Ice Cream and I’ve just thought that the Chilli would be perfect for spiced popcorn… that’s another one on my to do list. In fact, I think a Frylight YouTube tutorial should be a high priority very soon; it just makes sense! However, you do have to keep your eyes peeled for them though. Some Tescos stock them at £2 but you may be more successful but I did see the Chilli one in B&M the other day for £1, but hopefully it wasn’t a one off!
5. Almond butter. I finally found a tub of Almond Butter thanks to YouTuber, Claudia Lane. I think I can safely say I’m addicted to peanut butters now of any kind if it’s pure peanuts. Although it’s quite pricey at £2.80 in Sainsburys compared to the peanut kind at £1.50, I have been creating quite a few quick peanut satay sauces for steamed fish & vegetables etc. All you need to do is mix 1 tbsp of light soy sauce, sweet chilli and peanut butter, it’s that simple. And then I’ve been pimping up my dates even more with a spray of chilli frylight. Try it, it’s still vegan and love the extra kick!
6. Cacao. I finally got my hands on cacao, conveniently placed next to the almond butter in Sainsburys. And quite often, I also sprinkle this on my peanut butter filled dates. Again, quite pricey at £4 for 100g but the best deal I’ve found is on Amazon for 500g for £9.45. I cannot wait to create brownies and other puddings but so far have loved making hot chocolate with it and banana ice cream.
7. Frozen bananas Although relatively new and not syn free on a Slimming World plan, if you freeze bananas and blend them, you have a miraculous ice cream. Yes it’s sugary because you’ve broken the fibre down in to sugar, but there no unwanted fats in it and it’s ridiculously cheap and versatile. Add whatever you want to it as your flavour, but if you’re unsure, then why not try my absolute favourite, lemon and date among many other recipe suggestions on this blog post.
8. Bounts. If you have an activity tracker and you’re in the UK, then get this free app! This is the first British one I’ve heard where it pays you to exercise. It’s a Points-Win-Prizes incentive scheme that eventually gives you money off participating high treet shops and people have told me they’ve redeemed cash already, so I installed it straight away as I’m always accumulating big step numbers. I haven’t yet seen money yet but it’s building up and you’ll be the first people to tell when I have some perks from it! You can also check in at the Gym by scanning their barcode but I’m in to free exercise as part of my lifestyle.
9. Barry M Sugar Apple Gel Style Nail Varnish. Although I gave a harsh review as like most others, it doesn’t last for a day, but I cannot resist the sweet candy style colour. It’s beautiful and have worn it a few times now.
So there you go, I had more than I realised! If you have a favourite you think I will love, then don’t forget to post it below!
Until next time…
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?