For this Friday’s video on my YouTube channel, I took upon the challenge of adapting Gordon Ramsay’s Michelin Star Pumpkin Soup recipe in to a Slimming World friendly one. What is more, he doesn’t let any bit of the pumpkin go to waste and roasts the seeds in their skins which admittedly makes a yummy healthy snack that has an addictive popcorn nature to it, however, sadly this bit is not syn free but great for the rest of the family or friends.
I did also give the recipe my favourite little twist by roasting a whole onion in its skin which is easier on the eyes and by popular demand on my Facebook support group, I’ve now also added this to my list of soup maker friendly recipes. If you want to request to join too, then all are welcome!
Pumpkins aren’t just for carving either; they’re so versatile for sweet or savoury dishes, so maybe when you’re bored of your glowing pumpkin this year, you may want to turn it in to something yummy too!
Recipe – Serves 4
1.7kg small pumpkin, halved and deseeded
1 head of garlic, bottom sliced off & skins left on
1 regular onion, skin left on
1 tbsp dried rosemary
100g quark or similar fat free cheese, natural yoghurt or creme fraiche
2 chicken stockpots
Topping: Croutons & grated cheese (both Healthy Extras or must be synned)
2 slices of wholemeal bread from a small loaf, diced
10g per person Lower fat mature cheddar
- Preheat the oven on gas mark 5, slice the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds (see recipe below for snack).
- Score the pumpkin with criss crosses, being careful not to poke the knife too far.
- Rub in the seasoning, rosemary, and spray with frylight and place inside the head of garlic in one pumpkin half, the other holding the whole onion.
- Put the pumpkins on a baking tray and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour.
- Once cooked, scoop out the pumpkin flesh, skin the garlic and onion and chop, then chuck in your soup maker along with the rest of the ingredients and set to blend for whiz for a minute, then set to smooth. If using a pan and blender, simmer all the ingredients for 20 minutes and blend.
- While the soup is still cooking, spray the diced bread with frylight and place in airfryer at 180 degrees for 3 minutes or place in oven on baking tray, gas mark 4 for around 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup and top with the croutons you’ve just made and sprinkle with cheese.
Seed Snack Recipe (Not Syn Free)
Pumpkin seeds from 1 Pumpkin
1/8tsp fine sea salt
A sprinkle of Peri Peri spice
- Preheat your oven on gas mark 5.
- Remove all the flesh attached to the pumpkin seeds and rinse the seeds in a colander under a cold running tap.
- Place the seeds on a clean kitchen towel and pat dry (note they will still feel quite slippy which is normal).
- Transfer the seeds to a baking tray, sprinkle the salt and spices on top, spray with frylight and give it a good shake.
- Pop in the middle of the oven and bake for 30 minutes, shaking mid-way.
So after a fun Pumpkin sesh in the kitchen, I wish you all a Happy Halloween and if you want to see the video version of this recipe, then go over to my Tastefully Vikkie YouTube Channel to subscribe and I’ll see you there this Friday at 6pm!
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?