The Slow Cooker and I meet again for the final time this week; it’s been a great pal for a busy soul and I’ve recently been chucking in my regular recipes and discovering new unknown limits every day. You might also want to check out my Bangers & Mash, Steak & Onions recipes as examples. But yesterday I was on a mission to work through my to-do list (no procrastinating happened, I promise) but some things just propped up unexpectedly meaning my idea of a healthy meat-feast pizza was out the window. Maybe next time, eh? So then I needed to change direction and created this bolognese cheese bake instead. Side note: If you have penne pasta, then I’d use that instead as spaghetti is rather messy to serve if you want to keep the pretty-cheese-on-top’s formand annoyingly I’d left ours in the campervan’s kitchen cupboard.
- 250g extra lean mince beef
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 fat cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced
- 1 oxo cube
- 1 carrot. peeled & grated
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 160g spaghetti or pasta
- 80g lower fat cheddar, grated (*2 people’s healthy extra)
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
- Chuck in everything in to the slow cooker except the spaghetti and cheese and cook on high heat for 2 & 1/2 hours or low all day. Note: You will get a richer taste if you fry the garlic, beef and onions until softened in frylight before adding to the SC but sometimes I can’t be bothered with extra pans to wash up.
- Once cooked, season to taste again if needed, remove the bay leaf and preheat your oven on 180 degrees.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti or pasta as per instructed on the back of the packet.
- Drain the pasta and transfer to a oven proof dish and spoon the meaty mixture on top.
- Now sprinkle with cheese and a touch more herbs and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- And finally, if you have time, then please tag me on Instagram @TastefullyVikkie because I lurve seeing your food pictures!
You could always just skip the oven bit and stir in the cooked pasta and throw in your cheese to melt for a further 30 mins, but we love rich grilled cheese where we can!
Tastefully Vikkie x