I love cooking risotto, but that’s usually because it’s great to keep topping it up with a slosh of wine followed by a dash in the mouth. It’s great pottering in the kitchen recipe, but requires you to be close by in case it catches in the pan. But if we give Arborio rice amiss for once and give Orzo a chance, it cuts the cooking time by two thirds.
It still requires near by attention, just less of it. So I made this quick little dish which turned out to be a yummy syn free snack but would also make a great accompaniment.
Recipe – Serves 1 (or double for 2 etc)
- 2 mushrooms, chopped
- 300ml water
- 4 tbsp orzo pasta
- 1 chicken stockcube
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp Philadelphia Extra Light cheese (From 100g of Healthy Extra A)
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 10g lighter mature cheese, grated (From 40g of Healthy Extra A)
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
- Place all but half the water, cheeses and parsley in a small saucepan simmer over a medium heat.
- Once most of the water has gone, add the remaining water and continue to simmer until it is reduced down to a thick consistency.
- Now stir in the remaining ingredients and cook for a further minute and serve.
- If you do make it, then why not tag me on Instagram #TastefullyVikkie with a pic of your orzo risotto dish!
Tastefully Vikkie x