In today’s recipe, the star of the show is this tasty tomato pasta sauce. Once you’ve made it, you can toddle off to do you own recipe with it. I know it’s not the quickest, but once you’ve got past that, it’s great knowing you’ve thrown something in the oven, set a timer and gone to do your own thing for an hour.
Of course, you could easily nip out and buy a jar instead and I don’t doubt there’s a fat or sugar free one; we all know it’s quicker, but I like to know what I’ve put in to my food and find it’s too easy to whip one up myself. Note: it’s more fun if you find reduced tomatoes too like I did here!
And you can even make this with tinned toms too which I’ve done every now and then to be cheap. Just roast them, along with some veggies for a richer taste and blend. I also can’t resist slipping in some cheese in all of my pasta sauces, but of course, this is completely optional.
Recipe – Serves 2
- Low calorie cooking oil spray
- 500g tomatoes, halved (or try a tin of chopped tomatoes)
- 2 garlic cloves, minces
- 1 onion, peeled & quartered
- 200ml water
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in to bite size pieces.
- 1 leek, sliced
- 50g lower fat cheese *(Using part of each person’s Healthy Extra A)
- 160g pasta
- A handful of fresh basil or 1 tbsp dried basil
- Why not spice it up a little with a splash of balsamic vinegar?
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees.
- Place the tomatoes, flesh side up on a baking tray along with the onions, minced garlic and season well. If you want to add more vegetables like peppers, aubergine, courgettes, etc, feel free and cook in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Once roasted, transfer to a blender and add the water and blitz until smooth. Note: You might want to add less or more for your desired consistency.
- Now cook the pasta as per instructed on the packet and while you wait, spray a large frying pan with cooking oil spray and cook the chicken until golden.
- Next add the leek and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sauce you’ve just made, basil and balsamic vinegar if using and simmer and stir until the chicken and leeks are completely cooked.
- Then finally stir in the cheese until melted, plate up the pasta and top with the tomato and chicken and some fresh basil where possible.
Tastefully Vikkie x