You know when you order something in a restaurant and you’re disappointed to find it’s not what you were expecting? Well, that happened to us when we dined al fresco style over the last bank holiday weekend. Don’t get me wrong, the garlic mushrooms side was truly delicious, but it wasn’t the classic finger food side we were craving to go with our burgers.
And I’ve told you before, I get my inspiration from absolutely everywhere. In fact, I’m probably always thinking of food connections and this idea really was worth adapting and sharing. It can be eaten a starter, side in a cute little ramekin dishes or an intensely delicious pasta sauce.
Recipe – Serves 4
- Low calorie cooking oil spray – or try my homemade recipe
- 1 onion, diced
- 12 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 8 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 680g jar of passata
- 275g mushrooms, sliced
- Freshly chopped parsley
- 160g low fat grated cheese *(4 people’s Healthy Extra A)
And if you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
- Spray a large lidded saucepan with cooking oil spray and saute the onions and garlic until softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and bring to a gentle boil to release the tomato’s juices.
- Pour in the passata, a generous pinch of seasoning and stir in the mushrooms.
- Now reduce the heat to a simmer and pop the lid on to cook for a further 30m minutes.
- Dish out the sauce and sprinkle 40g of cheese on top of each.
- And don’t forget to let me know how you ate yours by tagging me on Instagram (#TastefullyVikkie) with a pic!
Tastefully Vikkie x