Ever since I’ve been playing around with syn free alternatives on how to thicken stews and sauces, I am favouring good ol’ pearl barley. You do can a bit more texture but really helped my recent Honey & Mustard Chicken dish. It’s thick, it’s cream and sweet with a bit of tang.
Note: the honey is 3 syns for 1 tablespoon and as this serves two, it’s 1.5 syns each and totally worth it!
Recipe – Serves 2
(1.5 Syns Each)
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in to bite sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 500ml chicken stock made up from 1 stock cube
- 30g pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 100g quark (fat free cream cheese)
- Fresh parsley
And if you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
- Spray a large saucepan with frylight and saute the onion, garlic and ginger until softened.
- Add the chicken and continue to cook until golden.
- Now add the stock, barley, seasoning, bay leaf and mustard powder and give it a good stir.
- Now bring it to a simmering point, place the lid on top and cook for 50 minutes.
- Half way through cooking, stir in the mushrooms and honey.
- Once cooked, remove the bay leaf and stir in the quark and serve with fresh parsley.
- And if you made it, let me know by tagging me on Instagram (#TastefullyVikkie) with a food pic ‘cos I love ’em!