If I’m ever inspired by a meal absolutely anywhere, it’s the norm for me to get my camera phone out and snap way. I never get around to doing most of them, but some don’t slip through the net of my memory bank. This is exactly what happened when I saw this Butternut Bake for sale in Tesco for £2.50 among all the veggies.
So I took a pic of the ingredients at the back too and I don’t feel guilty for adapting this recipe to a Slimming World one because I mostly do all my shopping in there and used mostly Tesco bought stuff anyhow.
The great news with this recipe is that you get a lot more food for your buck and if you’re on a strict diet plan, this work out as syn free to Slimming Worlders on the Extra Easy plan and can be served as a main between two or a side for four.
Recipe – Serves 4 sides or 2 mains
1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded & diced
1 parsnip, peeled & diced
1 medium potato, peeled & diced
1 onions, diced
60g chopped cabbage or kale
2 small slices of wholemeal bread (healthy extra if on SW)
500g fat free cottage cheese
1 tsp mustard powder
40g lower fat cheese (healthy extra if on SW)
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
- Preheat oven at gas mark 5
- In a large roasting dish, throw in all veg, spraying with frylight and season well.
- Place in oven, uncovered for 30 minutes until the veg is tender the smaller the diced veg, the quicker it will cook.
- Now to make the topping, in a large bowl, mix the cottage cheese, mustard, seasoning and eggs and pour over the veg once cooked.
- Whiz the breadcrumbs in a food processor, season with salt and pepper and additionally, any spices you wish and sprinkle on top of the cheese and egg mixture.
- Grate over the cheese and bake for a further 30 minutes.
For more inspiration, I have hundreds of recipes on here for you to take a browse for more and more being added weekly, so why not add yourself to my free email subscription? I also feature some of my favourite meals and tips on my YouTube Channel which you’re more than welcome to subscribe there too!
Tastefully Vikkie x