Today was all about my slow cooker looking after me while I lounged around my house resting after a stressful week.
This week I completed filming my 7 Day Slimming World Soup Challenge, shabby-chiced two vintage projects which I featured on my Carpenter’s Daughter channel and then had the builders in for 2 days.
I’m not even sure how I had the energy or where it came from.
I’ve truly needed the rest, so this weekend, I wanted to whip up this large cottage pie to last us two days. So less time cooking in the kitchen, or washing up.
It’s also packed full of speedy food using a with a few easy cheats.
And it’s syn free!
But for the main pork and bean mixture, I sauted them in a frying pan, then transferred to my slow cooker with some smoked paprika for a rich taste.
If you want a sweeter taste though from the peppers, then just simmering away in a pan for 30 minutes will do the trick.
Then just carry on as normal layering your dish with mash potatoes on top before sprinkling with a pinch of cheese and bake for 30 minutes!
SLIMMING WORLD SYN FREE PORK & BEAN SLOW COOKER COTTAGE PIE
- 500 g lean 5% fat pork mince
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 courgette grated
- 2 400g tins of baked beans
- 2 chicken or veg stockcubes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 650 g potatoes, quartered (skins on for rustic mash if you prefer)
- 10 or 20 g low fat grated cheese syn if not using as part of your Healthy Extra A
- Splash Milk syn if not using as part of your Healthy Extra A
- Fry the mince meat and onions together until softened.
- Now add the peppers and courgette and fry for a further 5 to 8 minutes until softened.
- Now transfer to the slow cooker and add the beans, puree, stock cubes and seasoning and cook high for 3 hours, or low for 6.
- Now preheat your oven on 200 degrees or gas mark 6, meanwhile boil potatoes until you can easily prick with a fork.
- Drain and mash the potatoes, then add the milk and seasoning until you get the consistency you want.
- Using a large baking dish, layer with the meat mixture, then spead the mash on top and create grooves with a fork before sprinkling with a pinch of cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes and if you enjoyed it, then don't forget to tag me on Instagram @TastefullyVikkie so I know you made it!
PIN FOR LATER…
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?