I’ve been really loving this naturally sweet and creamy hidden vegetable porridge for my breakfast lately. It’s syn free, it’s guilt free and there’s something so comforting about it first thing in a morning. So I thought it only made sense to feature it as my YouTube video of the week.
I’m a huge porridger in a morning; it’s the best way to keep me off snacking until lunchtime, but to keep me interested, I’m always looking for new ideas to spice up my oats like last year’s 3 porridge recipes I created.
You might think this one sounds odd with grated carrot and parsnip, but before you turn your nose up, give it a go and tell me what you think. I love it as it comes but there’s absolutely no stopping you adding some granulated sweetener or a smidgen agave syrup if that’s your preference.
So here it is (and my video version below too).
Recipe – Serves 1
- 35g porridge oats *(All your Healthy Extra B)
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 carrot, peeled & grated
- 1 parsnip, peeled & grated
- 200ml semi or skimmed milk *(Most of your Healthy Extra A)
- 200ml water
- A dash of cinnamon
And if you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
- In a small saucepan, add all of the ingredients except the cinnamon and give it a good stir.
- Place over medium heat and simmer while stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and you have a thick and creamy consistency.
- Then serve in to a bowl and sprinkle a little cinnamon if using. If you wish to add some sweetener or syrup, now’s the time to do it.
- And if you enjoy it, don’t forget a tag on Instagram (#TastefullyVikkie) with a pic would be spiffing and no doubt, put a smile on my face!
(Here’s a Pinterest friendly thumbnail for you if it’s easier to Pin and save the recipe for later!)
Tastefully Vikkie x