One of my staple foods while developing Slimming World recipes is onions. In curries, chutneys, pasta dishes, salads; life would be so boring without them. But I’ve had a drawer full of them for more than I really should admit.
Basically, I was so sick of buying them in smallish bags and run out too quickly, that as soon as I found huge sack in Morissons, I threw them in to my trolley without a second thought.
But I got my timing all wrong. I later got waylaid with some much needed renovating in our bedroom, but I don’t regret it. Yet, we can’t have waste, can we?
And now I’ve had a bit of time again in my kitchen, I’ve had a hankering for an old favourite of mine. A scrummy onion tart, minus the cheesy crust and I used to make with it. Hea-van!
But when I make efforts to cook from scratch these days, I make much healthier choices. (Ok, so we’re all allowed a treat here and then).
So for this version, say hello to my cheese and onion tart. Or onion layered quiche if you will?
It’s very simple. Just reduce and caramelise the onions on a long slow cook in frylight with a pinch salt and add a bit of sweetener if needed.
But there’s one thing I can’t live without when I’m finely chopping onions by the bulk load, it’s my trusty onion goggles. I really bought them for making my annual Christmas chutneys that everyone loves at Christmas.
Then, top with whisked eggs and natural yogurt in a 7″ dish and bake for 30 minutes until golden.
Slimming World Syn Free Crustless Cheese & Onion Tart
- 700 g onions prepared weight & finely diced or shredded in a food processor
- 170 g fat free natural yogurt
- 40 g reduced fat mature cheddar grated *40g = 1 person's HE A
- 2 eggs
- Spray a large non stick deep based pan with frylight and fry the onions with a pinch of salt over low to medium heat for 30 minutes until a caramelised brown. NOTE: you may want to stir occasionally throughout to ensure it isn't catching, but you may need to add a splash of water.
- Now preheat your oven on 180 degrees c.
- Meanwhile, spray a 7" or similar quiche dish with frylight and spread the onions on the base.
- Then in a jug, whisk the eggs, followed by mixing in the natural yogurt and stir in the seasoning along with most of the cheese (holding some back for the top).
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the onions, sprinkle the remaining cheese and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- One quarter = One quarter of your Healthy Extra A (HE A).
- Or, if not using your HE A, then it is 1.5 syns per quarter.
PIN FOR LATER…