I’ve been rather curious about orzo recently since seeing a few YouTubers use it in their recipes.
For those that don’t know, it’s a Italian rice shaped pasta but quicker to cook, so when I saw it for sale in Marks and Spencer’s a couple of weeks ago, I immediately threw it in my basket.
You can, however, buy it in most supermarkets and it’s so much more convenient than risotto rice.
So today, when I got my slow cooker out for what I knew would be another day of mayhem, I had a chicken and Leek stew on the go.
Then I was wondering how I’d like to thicken its tasty juices, to which I had a lightbulb moment. And a syn free creamy orzo risotto was born!
If you like a creamy cheesy risotto that tastes naughty with no syns (on the EE), using your healthy extra, then this is your baby!
2018 Update: We’ve made this dish a few times now and it’s now a comforting family favourite! And the added bonus is that there’s far less washing up.
It’s been perfect for those rushed days too, while I focus on doing DIY around my home.
The trouble is, when you’re working, time can go so quickly, and before I know it, I’ve ran out of time to cook.
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW? THEN WHY NOT PIN IT FOR LATER?
Slimming World Syn Free Chicken & Leek Orzo Risotto
- 2 chicken breasts diced
- 3 leeks sliced
- 2 carrots peeled & diced
- 200 g mushrooms sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Seasoning (Salt & pepper)
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 300 ml water
- 1 tsp dried thyme or fresh sprigs
- 1 tsp rosemary or fresh sprigs
- 2 chicken stockpots or stock cubes
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 6 extra light cheese triangles *6 = 1 person's HE, or 1.5 syns each
- 160 g dried orzo
- Spray your slow cooker with frylight and place in all ingredients except the cheese and orzo.
- Place the lid on top and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Now stir in the orzo and cheese triangles, replace the lid and cook on high for a final 30 minutes.
- Give it a stir and garnish with fresh parsley or other fresh herbs you wish and serve.
- Don't forget to tag me in a picture on Instagram so I know you enjoyed it!
- Not using part of your Healthy Extra A
- When served between 4
- 6 syns - (each cheese triangle is 20 calories)