Sometimes I need a good cooking hack to get me through these colder days.
The nights seem shorter, there’s less natural day light to work with and if you’re like me, I get tired much much quicker.
And that also means far less energy to cook meals from scratch. Perhaps that’s my part Mediterranean blood, eh?
I know I’ve mentioned this before, but one of my favourite type of potato dish is mashed potatoes.
We either have it as bangers and mash, on a roast dinner, cottage pie or even turned in to gnocchi! We’re not afraid to say that we love our carbs over here.
But occasionally, if I’m completely pooped, I just go for boiled because it’s all I can muster. It might not be very exciting on those days, but draining before transferring to a bowl (because a metal masher ruins non-stick pans) can be off putting. Who likes extra washing up? Not me!
So I have a new discovered magic trick up my sleeve for you which is so easy.
And that is to cook your potatoes in a slow cooker with the right amount of liquid, then mash away until you get the consistency you want.
It really is that simple. As long as you’ve got five minutes to spare for planning ahead, you’re on to a winner!
For this recipe, I used Co-op‘s King Edward Potatoes which are available in 1.5kg bags from @coopukfood.
I personally think King Edwards are an all rounder that’s perfect for roasting, boiling, steaming and mashing.
However, it’s not necessary to peel them like I did. It really does depends on your mood. Sometimes I’ll just wash and chop them for a more rustic dish with extra fibre and texture.
Slow cooker mashed potatoes also make a great centre piece when you’re filling a crew. Everyone can help themselves.
What things do you favour in your mash? Ours is usually pimped up with cheese and mustard (below), but once you’ve got your potatoes and a slow cooker at hand, you can add whatever you wish.
This one’s here to stay for Christmas, that’s for sure!And if you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW? THEN HERE’S A PIN TO SAVE FOR LATER!
Slimming World Easy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 2 kg King Edward potatoes peeled & chopped in to small chunks
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Dash Pepper
- 825 ml skimmed milk or a mix of water & milk
- 1 tbsp English mustard (optional)
- 80 g low fat cheddar cheese finely grated (optional)
- 1 tbsp low fat margarine (optional)
- Place the potatoes in the slow cooker and add the salt,pepper and 350ml of the milk (or water if you wish).
- Give everything a good stir, place the lid on top and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the lid and give everything a good mash.
- Now gradually stir in the milk until you get the consistency you want.
- If using, stir in the cheese, mustard and margarine, or whatever you wish to make your favourite mash and serve.
- If you enjoyed it, then don't forget to tag me on Instagram (@TastefullyVikkie) so I know you made it!
Skimmed Milk = 279 calories / 14 syns
Mustard = 27 calories / Almost 1.5 syns
Cheese = 275 calories / 14 syns
Margarine 26 calories / Almost 1.5 syns Syns Between 8 People When serving between 8 people, it works out at under 4 syns each if using optional cheese, mustard, margarine and milk. However, this can easily be made syn free once you know the water/potato ratio for your slow cooker.
Disclosure: This recipe is sponsored by Co-op King Edward Potatoes. All views are my own.