This may be a bold statement I’m about to make, but this is the BEST Slimming World Italian dish I have EVER made!
So welcome to my latest Melanzane Parmigiana (or Aubergines Parmigiana if you will). Oh my. I’ve eaten many Italian dishes and this is right at the top!
I have made this authentic dish before when I did a cooking and filming shoot with Bellavita, London and let me tell you, this is the real deal!So when I joined back at Slimming World last week, I was flicking through the Healthy Extra options and hadn’t realised that pine nuts were an option. Did you?
And the fact that you’re allowed to go half and half with them pretty much screamed “let’s make parmigiana!!” at me.
OK, so a purist may say “where’s the olive oil?”. Well, olive oil Frylight tasted amazing with it and let’s face it, who doesn’t prefer to save the syns for something with chocolate on it?! You get the picture I’m sure.I suppose you could say it’s a bit like lasagne. But better. In fact, the next time I make lasagne, it deserves this sauce.
It’s rich, herby and deliciously sweet.
And lots of delicious layers.And while you’ve got your tomatoes cooking, the aubergines are pan fried in olive oil frylight before they’re laid in the dish like sheets of pasta.
But am I the only one who thinks aubergine sometimes has a chewy meaty texture? That’s why I think it makes a great substitute; possibly even acceptable for a hardcore carnivore. Dare if you will!
And of course, followed by a herby cheese breadcrumb topping. Mamma mai! Who’d have thought one giant portion of this incredible dish could be syn free if you wanted? Or it’s 12 syns per portion. You obviously don’t need to use as much healthy extras if you didn’t want to!It’s been such a revelation to make. Just knowing that no flavours were compromised.
It just goes to show it’s really worth reading through your books. I’ve also picked up a handbag syn guide too as I think you’re less likely to discover new things if you’re only searching for specific foods on the app or online version.
If you’ve never tried aubergine before or you’re a bit unsure of it, then try melanzane first! I don’t think you’ll regret it.
DON’T MISS OUT ON FUTURE RECIPES
And if you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
CAN’T MAKE IT RIGHT NOW? HERE’S A PIN TO SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Slimming World Syn Free Aubergine Parmigiana (Melanzane)
This yummy dish is also syn free if you wish on the Extra Easy eating plan or 12 syns per portion when divided between 4. (Scroll down for full syn and healthy extra breakdown).
- Olive oil Frylight
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried thyme or 3 sprigs of fresh
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 4 400g Tinned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 large aubergines thinly sliced lengthways
- 60 g Parmigiano Reggiano (One that is allowed as a Healthy Extra B) *I used Tesco Finest
- 2 small Warburtons wholemeal roll (or 4 slices from a small Healthy Extra B allowed loaf) Blitzed in to breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp pine nuts (1 tbsp is one person's Healthy Extra B)
- 140 g low fat mozzarella (70g is one person's Healthy Extra B)
- Sprinkle dried basil or as many fresh leaves as you like
- In a deep based pan, spray with frylight and gently saute the garlic, thyme and sage for around 5 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While you wait, spray a large frying pan with frylight and gently fry (or grill if you wish) both sides of the aubergine slices until softened and set aside.
- Preheat your oven at 200c (or gas mark 6) and in a large mixing bowl, mix together 25g of the parmigiano reggiano, all the breadcrumbs and leave to one side.
- Then using a large deep baking dish, spoon some of the tomato sauce and spread around as a base.
- Now create a layer of aubergine slices and season before spooning over more sauce.
- Sprinkle a few pinches of mozzarella here and there with some parmigiana and sprinkle of basil and repeat the layers, finishing with tomato sauce at the top.
- Finally sprinkle over the remaining parmigiana, followed by the breadcrumbs, sprinkle with pine nuts and more basil.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes and garnish with basil or parsley in my case.
- If you loved it, don't forget to tag me on Instagram @TastefullyVikkie with a photo and buon appetito!
TO SYN OR NOT TO SYN?Each serving between 4 people is all of one's Healthy Extra A and B on the Extra Easy plan. I'll break it down for you... 70g of low fat mozzarella = 1 per person's HE A *(Or 6 syns)
30g of some Parmigiana Reggiano brands = 1 person's HE A *(Or 6 syns)
1 small Warburton's roll *(Or 6 syns) Or 2 slices from a Hovis Nimble Wholemeal loaf *(Or 5 syns) = 1 person's HE B
1 tbsp of pine nuts = 1 person's HE B *(Or 6 syns) With this recipe, you will have used all of your Healthy Extras. If synning, each portion = 12 syns. If you want to reduce the amount you use, then it's your call of course!