Once I get a recipe idea, it’s like a light bulb moment and can’t shift the flowing ideas until I’ve made it. I really craved a dauphinoise recipe today too (that’s PMT for you) after watching a many YouTube videos of Martin Dorey cooking in his VW camper. Side Note: we’ve recently bought a kitchenette for our campervan, so expect to see some recipes soon!
And after playing around with healthier ingredients in my head, this is what I came up with. Note: what makes this delicious is the little trick of infusing an onion and bay leaf in the milk; something I picked up in a Christmas BBC Good Food magazine a few years ago and amazing when I used to make a non-Slimming World friendly Cauliflower Cheese. I know it’s a bit faffy, but I promise you, the depth it gives is worth it.
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
- 900g large potatoes (about 4), peeled and thinly sliced from the longest side
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt and a sprinkle of pepper
- 1 fat clove of garlic, minced
- 400ml skimmed milk (1 syn per person or 350ml + 50ml water to complete each person’s Healthy Extra)
- 200g fat free natural yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 120g lower fat grated cheese (*Note this is 30g per person & doesn’t equate to a full Healthy Extra)
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- Hours before, place the milk, onion, garlic and bay leaf in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside and leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, preheat your oven on 220 degrees.
- Using a pan steamer, place the sliced potato in the middle tier, add boiling water to the bottom and season the potato with a sprinkle of salt and simmer the water for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large baking dish and spread out the slices as thinly as you can (you make need to separate some with the prongs of a fork).
- In a large mixing bow, whisk the eggs then stir in the yoghurt and cold infused milk and mix well.
- Pour over the potatoes then sprinkle over the cheese and nutmeg.
- Place in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the top is golden, then serve.
- And if you loved my side dish, then don’t forget to tag me in a pic on Instagram.. I absolutely love seeing photos of my recipes 🙂