If I’m stuck for time, then Italian is always invited in my house. It’s quick, simple and easily jazzed up with some store cupboard essentials without cutting back on flavour. I’d hate for someone to be skeptic about any meal with Slimming World in the title, but when I’ve often synned, it hasn’t tasted like fats and sugars have been worth it. Personally, I’d much prefer to eat a meal like this, knowing I can have the extra treats later on.
So I’m sharing with you a typical dish that I cook with spaghetti and it’s never the same; I change it constantly using whatever I have in at the time or my mood and it’s guilt free!
Recipe – Serves 4 smaller portions or 2 large portions
- 450g skinned chicken, diced
- 2 rashers of bacon, trimmed of fat & chopped
- 1 red onion, halved & sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100g sliced mushrooms
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 80g grated lower fat mature cheddar (if between two, 40g each is a healthy extra, or 20g each is half when serving 4 people).
- Spray a large pan with frylight and sauté the onions and garlic on a medim to low heat until the onions have softened.
- Now add the chicken and bacon and continue to cook and stir until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and fry off over a minute and stir in the tomatoes, mushrooms and seasoning.
- Cook on a gentle simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the basil and stir well and turn off the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Serve over cooked tagliatelle (I stick to 80g per person).
If you want a weekly dose of new healthy recipes for inspiration, then why not sign up for my free email mailing list right here and you can always be double sweet and subscribe to my YouTube channel too where I post a new cooking tutorial or fitness video every Friday at 6pm!
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?