During our France road trip last month, one of our saviour meals when we were on the go were a croque monsieur. Yes, they were ready made specials from E.Leclerk, but they were incredibly quick to fry in the pan.
By the end of the two weeks, we’d tried many different combos. But all with melted cheese on top. I hear a croque madame is even better (with an egg on top).
Even when we reflected back during our final night, we tucked in to our last one at Dunkerque. We started our journey by catching a ferry to Calais in our camper, then drove through the West coastline, stopping in many Aires near beaches.
It seriously was the life. But although my favourite coast was near Bordeaux, my absolute favourite campsite with lots of dog friendly walks was North of Brest.
On our way back, we didn’t quite get to see Paris, so hopefully we’ll be making a return for my birthday. I’m a little bit too excited try some boulangerie treats.Another meal France left me hanging for was to revisit my old favourite Coq au Vin by Raymond Blanc. Here’s my syn free version if you missed it last week.
So, getting back to the croques. As soon as I returned, I made it a mission to create a syn free one, using all of my healthy extras. And that day has finally come.
I’m not sure whether they’re strictly breakfast or a lunch thing, but I find these perfectly satisfying as a petit dejeuner. Melted cheese and ham. What’s not to love?
WHERE’S THE BECHAMEL SAUCE?
I know that some purists will say this isn’t a real croque, then.
As for the bechamel sauce; well, I could not be bothered to cook some flour and milk for such a small amount. However, if you want to skip the fat free natural yoghurt and nutmeg, then you can syn flour if you wish (5g for 1 syn(, so you might want to give it a go,
But for me, this works perfectly for me. You may also want to try my Syn Free Croque Madames cups.
What’s your favourite French recipe?
DON’T MISS OUT ON FUTURE RECIPES
And if you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
CAN’T MAKE IT RIGHT NOW? HERE’S A PIN TO SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Slimming World Syn Free Croque Monsieurs
- 2 slices wholemeal bread from a small loaf (Healthy Extra B)
- 3 slices lean syn free cooked ham
- 40 g low fat mature cheddar grated (Healthy Extra A)
- 1 tbsp fat free natural yogurt
- Dash Nutmeg
- Sprinkle 10g of grated cheese on one of the slices of bread, then layer with ham.
- Next, spread the yogurt on top and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Grate on top another 10g of cheese and place the last slice of bread on top.
- Now spray a frying pan with frylight and fry to sandwich, 2-3 minutes each side until golden while squashing it down with a spatula.
- Sprinkle to last 20g of cheese on top and grill until the cheese has started to bubble and serve.
- Did you make it? If so, don't forget to tag me on Instagram (@tastefullyvikkie) and I will share my favourites on here!