Last month, I took photos of all the pre-prepared meals I loved the look of while we were in France doing our supermarket shopping. I brought home lots of inspirational ideas.
And one that kept propping up and teasing me were these stuffed tomatoes but with beef and pork. They looked perfect to try as I’d already had some form of stuffed peppers on my to do list for well over a year (but was going to make them in my slow cooker).
However, I was unsure tomatoes would hold up in anything but in the oven. So I followed my gut instinct.
WHY I LOVE THESE
If you’ve ever made a tomato soup, you might have discovered that one of the best ways to cook them is to roast them.
The juices evaporate, leaving you with a rich, sweet, intense flavour. In fact, most vegetables have the same effect.
But by stuffing the tomatoes, it keeps some of the sweet juices behind and infuses everything else. If you like tomatoes, I think you’ll love this recipe!
This was the first time I used the Slimming World Iceland’s Syn Free Chorizo Style Sausages and although I can’t really offer an insight to what they taste like alone, they really were delicious as an infused sausage meat stuffing.
If you don’t like them, or have your own syn free sausages, then it really is easy to raid your spice rack and infuse your own favourite ones instead. My Syn Free Chorizo Inspired Burgers recipe should fix this for you!
Who said it needs to be about the fat? And to make them super speedy (extra healthy by bulking them up with vegetables), I created my mixture with grated courgettes.
TIP FOR THE TOMATO FLESH
The only slightly tedious job part of this recipe is the scooping out. I used big juicy, but firm beef tomatoes from Aldi.
Although I haven’t shared a recipe with the flesh, these tomatoes seem to be traditionally served with rice, so why not cook them together? Mine is currently stored in the fridge and I’m going to do just that.
Or perhaps you may want to cook inside a soup? How would you use it up to prevent waste?
OTHER FRENCH RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight to your inbox?
CAN’T MAKE IT RIGHT NOW? HERE’S A PIN TO SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Slimming World Syn Free Chorizo Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes
- 6 Beef tomatoes or more smaller ones
- 3 onions finely chopped or blended
- 3 (400g) courgettes grated
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pack (350g) Slimming World Iceland chorizo sausages
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree.
- Skin the raw sausages and mash them in a bowl and set aside.
- Slice the tops off the tomatoes and set aside. Meanwhile, carefully scoop out the flesh with a spoon. (Note: you may want to use the flesh to cook with rice).
- Spray a large frying pan with frylight and add the onions, garlic and salt and gently saute (if grated, saute until the juices have disappeared).
- Add the courgettes and continue frying until it starts to catch on the pan and any juices have disappeared.
- Stir in the sausage meat fry until the meat has cooked through.
- Stuff the meat in to the tomatoes and place the tomato tops back on top and bake in a baking dish for 1 hour and serve!
- Did you enjoy them? I'd LOVE to know! So why not tag me on Instagram (@TastefullyVikkie) with a picture?