Boston beans, anyone? It’s a fairly new recipe in our house, but they’re sooo good! We’ve been eating them as a side, added a little cheese for a dip.
They’re just so versatile and definitely think I’ll be turning my nose up over my next tin of beans. Besides, I usually find them rather boring, but they’re so convenient, aren’t they? If you’ve never tried them before, they’re slow cooked, rich, dense and flavoured throughout with pork or bacon. Obviously, you could omit the meat but I bet it would taste amazing with smoked paprika instead.
And this recipe makes a really big batch that’s 8 ladles full so can imagine it would be great at a buffet or BBQ where everyone can help them selves straight from the slow cooker.If you struggle to pick up the main ingredient, dried haricot beans, then I know Morrison’s stock them.
And finally, let’s talk about the syns. The black treacle really makes this recipe, but if you don’t have or want to use Sweet Freedom’s syrup syns, then why not try sweetener instead? Or let me know below what you’d use instead.Recipe – Serves 8 (2 Syns Each)
- 450g dried haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 1.6-1.7 litres of water
- 4 vegetable stock cubes
- 300g smoked back bacon, then the fat removed
- 2 tbsp black treacle *(9 syns)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp Henderson’s relish or Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp/44g Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup *(6 syns) or 2 tbsp granulated sweetener
- Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water, then rinse and drain before adding to the slow cooker.
- Now add everything else, give it a really good stir and place a layer of tinfoil on top before popping the lid on top.
- Now cook on high for 6-7 hours (1.7 litres if 7 hours).
- Give it a final stir and add a little bit more water if needed and serve.
- Why not let me know if you liked it by tagging me on Instagram with a picture (@TastefullyVikkie)?
And if you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW? THEN WHY NOT PIN IT FOR LATER