This morning I had to take my car for an MOT and also had another appointment late afternoon, so I decided to focus my attention on a much requested recipe in the middle of the day for my lunch.
After many evenings of on and off research for the perfect recipe, the ingredient sherry and single or double cream kept making an appearance. I think we all know how to deal with the latter, but sherry looked tricky.
After deliberating over vanilla essence or balsamic vinegar, I am glad I favoured the sweet and sour tones of balsamic for this delicious savory dish. This may be a new favourite – I have had much worse at restaurants so I am ecstatic to confirm this is also fat free and syn free.
If you do try my recipe and love mushroom soup, I am pretty sure you will love it too and have stockpiled this recipe using my new soup mugs which I bought in all colours – they are microwavable, dishwasher safe and freezable. They also have a lid with a vent… they are now my new best friends to go with my Morphy Richards Soup Maker.
– 2 onions diced
– 3 garlic cloves crushed
– 1 large potato diced
– 2 celery sticks
– 600g mushrooms sliced
– 1 tsp thyme
– 1 tsp balsamic vinegar to mimmick sherry
– 2 chicken stock pots or stock cubes (Swap of Vegetable if Vegetarian)
– 600ml water
– Sprinkle of nutmeg
– 50g to 100g fat free fromage frais
1. Using a deep based pan that has a lid, spray with frylight and add the onions and garlic and saute without the lid for 5 minutes.
2. Add the potatoes, celery, mushrooms and thyme, mix together and spray again with frylight- now add the lid and sweat them with the lid on for 10 minutes.
3. Now combine all the ingredients in to the soup maker or the deep based (except the fromage frais) and sprinkle with nutmeg. Now set to smooth (if using the pan, just simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Blend until smooth. Add the fromage frais and serve in to bowls. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
I hope you love this one too!
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?