I was in the mood for something a little bit different today and this is what I came up with. Think syn free lasagne but without the pasta (potato slices instead). So here goes; we found it yummy, but what do you think?
Recipe – Serves 2-4
- 500g extra lean minced beef
- 2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 deseeded yellow pepper
- A sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- A sprinkle of ground ginger
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dried basil
Cheese Sauce Topping
- 80g lower fat mature cheddar, grated (40g = 1 person’s healthy extra)
- 200g fat free natural yoghurt or similar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- Preheat the oven on 200c.
- Spray a large oven dish with frylight and layer the base with the sliced potato, season, spray again and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large frying pan with frylight and brown the ground beef.
- Add the onion and garlic and continue to cook until softened.
- Stir in the tomato puree and spices and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now pour over the part cooked sliced potatoes and in a separate bowl, mix all the cheese topping ingredients and spoon over the beef mixture and level with a spatula.
- Place in the oven, still on 200c for 25 minutes or until golden brown and serve.
If you fancy trying my more traditional lasagne, then why not try this one? Or if you want to find out about my latest recipes, then you are more than welcome to sign up to my free email subscription here. I also upload weekly recipes on my YouTube channel here.
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?