A deliciously simple slow cooker chicken, butternut and bean stew that’s Syn Free on a Slimming World plan.
IF YOU WANT TO FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON HOW I MAKE IT, THEN YOU CAN SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM TO FIND THE RECIPE.
I’m all over this weekend’s family Slimming World meals. I’m taking control and if I let my fiance sort the food, then this house would be take away city.
But I know who to count on if I don’t want a tempting chocolate in sight (they’d be gone in a flash!)
This meal is also packed full of complex carbohydrates so it should keep you fuller for longer and crave less, which is perfect to avoid many of the temptations that our weekends tend to offer us.
I’m taking a stab in the dark in guessing that it’s because they feature the more accessible ingredients that people have in with a no messing about approach.
I’d hate to think I’m alienating people with obscure ingredients that one may only get occasional use out of them.
After all, healthy eating should be as easy as possible, right?
ARE THERE ANY SYNS?
If you’re following the Slimming World Extra Easy plan, there are absolutely no syns in this dish. Here’s a few things I did to ensure this:
- I used low calorie cooking oil spray. In this case, I use Frylight.
- I made sure no fat or skin was left on my chicken breasts.
- I used fat free natural yogurt.
- I ate it with dry cupboard orzo, meaning there are no oils in it to preserve it while fresh.
TIP FOR STORING YOUR STEW LEFTOVERS
Chicken, butternut and bean stew is perfect for batch cooking. You can double or even triple the ingredients and leave it in your slow cooker (or sometimes my massive jam pan) and prepare ahead. They can be stored in freezeable lidded containers and store in the freezer for around a month, or a fridge for up to five days.
When defrosting, sometimes I cheat by heating through my meals in the microwave, similar to a ready meals. If I’m not in a rush, I leave them to defrost in the fridge or windowsill (ok, I know this isn’t technically the safest ideas).
Many meals do separate, but once they’re heated up, they usually combine back together.
This stew is so versatile, but here’s what I know it goes great with other than a good dollop of fat free natural yogurt, cheese and fresh herbs:
- Baked potatoes
- Cubed potatoes, baked with frylight
- Slimming World Syn Free chips
- Rice or orzo
- Potato wedges
TELL US YOU MADE IT!
IF IN DOUBT
I am in no way associated with Slimming World or trained to give advice. I’m just a regular paying member who loves to cook and eat great food that is as good for me as possible. I take a lot of time to develop and calculate the syns of my recipes.
At the time of publication, the syn information is accurate using their Food search and Syns Calculator tools. All of which are available via the Slimming World app. But, if you’re ever in doubt, always ask your consultant, or call the Slimming World Syns Hotline: 09068 518 518. Syn information can sometimes change to help protect your weight loss, and food manufacturers often change the ingredients they use.
CAN’T MAKE IT RIGHT NOW? THEN WHY NOT PIN ME FOR LATER?
If you want to get in on what Slimming World recipes we’re talking about and generally looking for inspiration, then feel free to click above to join our Facebook group, TastefullyVikkie.com Slimming World Recipes & Ideas. We’re a friendly, non-judgemental bunch and all aiming for the same thing.
Slimming World Syn Free Slow Cooker Chicken, Butternut & Bean Stew
- Frylight or similar cooking oil spray
- 3 chicken breasts diced and all faat and skin removed
- 2 onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red pepper deseeded and diced
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled, deseeded and diced
- 2 tins baked beans
- 1 tin chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 200 ml water
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- Spray a large frying pan with frylight and cook the chicken until golden.
- Next add the onions, garlic and spices and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Now transfer everything in to the Slow Cooker excluding the herbs, place on the lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
- 4. Once the 6 hours is up, stir in the dried herbs and leave for 5 minutes to infuse and serve with rice or Slimming World style chips.