Yesterday I had a Friday Feeling on a Thursday and was soon to be no work and all play for a long weekend, yeah bay! This meant that today I wanted a really easy clean up dish so I reached for my collection of cook books for inspiration instead of doing the same ol’ things with defrosted chicken. And if you loved my Slow Cooker Chicken & Leek Orzo Risotto last year, you’ll probably love this too.
But this time, after finding a recipe bookmarked in my favourite Slow Cooker recipe book that I’d bought yonks ago from The Works, I was intrgued and surprised to find a perfect Vegetable Stew & Dumplings recipe to adapt that Old Vikkie had kindly thought of for Present Day Vikkie. (Thanks younger Vikkie, it was perfect!)
But then I was left to scour the web for a syn free dumpling that wasn’t a cous cous tweak. You will struggle, folks, I almost whipped out the Vegetable Shredded Suet! But a lovely member, Tracy Walker from my I LOVE SW Soup Facebook Group suggested why not use gnocchi instead? (Apparently it’s 2 syns per 100g). I LOVE gnocchi and to be honest, I’d always assumed it was high in syns as is fresh egg pasta. So I stocked up in Asda because I’ve missed it but mine was from the World Foods aisle, not the fridge section. And they really do give a dumpling bite that beautifully slips down like proper comfort food, offering 1 syn per serving (by the way, this recipe serves 4).
And of course, if you can share me your secret on a low syn dumpling (I can’t promise I’ll keep it to myself), but I would love to hear it and try it out without breaking the syn bank.
You’ll definitely be seeing more gnocchi recipes from now on and I’m thinking with soup maker on this one; I may be sharing some polenta ones soon too as I also couldn’t resist. (But annoyingly, I’m now craving a tweaked Polenta cake for the first time).
Recipe – Serves 4 (1 Syn Each on EE)
- 400g (or 2 breasts) of diced chicken
- 1/2 a swede, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, halved & sliced
- 1 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 200g chantaray carrots, whole or 2 regular carrots, peeled & sliced
- 2 celery stick, sliced
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme (or 2 tsp dried)
- 600ml water
- 2 & 1/2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 200g gnocchi (4 syns in total)
- A sprinkling of cheese if you wish (part of your healthy extra)
If you don’t want to miss out on future recipes, then why not subscribe for free below to get the latest straight in your inbox?
- Chuck everything in the slow cooker except the basil, gnocchi, cheese & 1/2 a stock cube.
- Set you SC on low and cook for 6 & 1/2 hours.
- Whack up the heat to high, and throw in the gnocchi, half a stock cube and basil, stir well and replace the lid for a final 30 minutes.
- Season again to taste, remove the bay leaves, then serve and sprinkle with a little cheese if using.
- And don’t forget to tag me in a pic of your meal if you’re posting on Instagram; they make me smile 🙂
Tastefully Vikkie x